From the Editor: Introductions! I’m happy to announce that a good friend of mine that has an absolute love and passion for movies has agreed to let me republish his thoughts on the movies he sees. He normally posts on Facebook, but I think his thoughts deserve a wider audience. He set a goal to see 250 different movies in the theater in 2019 and exceeded that goal. I believe his insights and thoughts on the films that are released are both entertaining, challenging sometimes and thought-provoking. Although we may not always agree on our thumbs-up/down ratings, I always agree that the thoughts he shares on life and faith and the ever intertwining of the two is always a worthwhile read! – Jason
DAN, DAN THE MOVIEMAN: BEST OF 2019
Yes, I got to 250 movies seen at movie theaters in 2019. Of those 500+ hours, here’s a list of the films I enjoyed the most and what I’d recommend for your viewing…
(These are ranked based on how MUCH I enjoyed them…)
Dan’s Top 10 Movies of 2019
- LITTLE WOMEN – Greta Gerwig is a good director and her reimagining of this classic is wonderful. Some complain about the back and forth in the timelines, but that didn’t bother me at all. Great writing, directing and performances.
- THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD – Peter Jackson is a director favorite of mine but what he did with old British World War 1 footage is miraculous. And riveting. And unforgettable. If you can see this in 3D, do. Blow your mind good.
- SHAZAM – I love to laugh, don’t you? This was really, really funny thanks to spot on casting choices and a killer script. I think I saw this 5 times in the theater. Can’t wait for the next one.
- THE BIGGEST LITTLE FARM – There is absolutely NO ONE on the planet who should not see this film. I loved every second and was entertained and educated throughout.
- TOY STORY 4 – Hours with Woody and Buzz are hours well spent. How do these storytellers keep upping themselves. This is the finest looking animated film ever. And it’s super emotional. You will laugh, you will cry. Just see it.
- JOJO RABBIT – Funny and touching. And full of profound truth. Great script, great acting. I took my 12 year old niece and SHE loved it. And she ain’t no pushover in the movie world.
- A HIDDEN LIFE – I’m a Terrance Malick fan. And this film is pure meditative perfection. An amazing film about an amazing life lived during a time that reminds us all very uncomfortably of today. What or who will you stand/fight/die for?
- FORD v FERRARI – This is Hollywood movie making at its best. Every word, every actor, every line, every song used and minute of the score was perfection. An absolute must see.
- APOLLO 11 – This documentary was extraordinary. The footage, the soundtrack, the lack of narration, the footage, the lost audio files, the footage…this is absolutely one of the top 5 best documentaries of all time. I saw it over and over.
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME – I’ve been a Marvel movie fan for 20 years since Iron Man. They ended it right (though I wish “I am Iron Man” was not so costly). Considering everyone’s expectations, this film delivered and deserves to be the highest growing film worldwide of all time.
That’s my top 10.
Dan’s Honorable Mentions for 2019 Movies
Here are some honorable mentions that also deserve your time…
- FROZEN 2 – Loved it. Better than the first one after multiple viewings. Just more ADVENTUROUS.
- PEANUT BUTTER FALCON – Setting aside the awful language, this as good a movie as you’ll see. Love it when surprises like this come along.
- SHADOW – I love my Asian cinema and this was fantastic. The final battle is AMAZING!
- PARASITE – Not for everyone, but it’s deserving of all the awards it’s winning. Shockingly good. Americans could never make this movie. (Note – subtitled movies ALSO deserve your attention).
- WESTERN STARS – Bruce Springsteen delivers great insight and great tunes here. I was tapping my foot to the music and nodding my head to Springsteen’s late life wisdom.
- SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME – Tom Holland as Spider-Man is brilliant and not to be missed. Delivered on all my expectations and I’m a huge Spidey fan.
- LINDA RONSTAD: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE – Loved her music back in the day and this behind the scenes look at her life was awesome. What a lady, what a talent.
- WILD ROSE -Great film about a Scottish woman who wants to be a Nashville country music singer. Songs, script and acting are first rate.
- KNIVES OUT – Just flat out fun. Even if you guess the killer before Daniel Craig’s gumshoe, you won’t believe how it ends. (Beware the language.)
- FREAKS – Yeah, you never heard of this movie. But if you are an X-Files fan like me, you are going to love this. Not alot of special effects, just a good story and great acting. Rod Serling would recommend it if you like his stuff.
A couple of days from now, I’ll share with you the MOVIES I REGRET SEEING – the biggest wastes of time, the worst of the worst. Lord save me from such bad decisions in the future.
Meanwhile, keep the corn popping and the trailers playing. HAPPY NEW YEAR!